Thanks to Raven Book Store for the book images and description.
- Borrow the book (Next search catalog)
- Watch the story performed by the author, Michael Rosen (YouTube)
- Sing along with lyrics, sheet music, pantomime, and color (The Learning Groove)
- Sing along with The Wiggles (YouTube)
- Engage with teaching aids (PDF Download)
For Parents and Caregivers
The NEKLS StoryWalk committee chose this book because it represents all that StoryWalks are about—getting outside and moving, having adventure and enjoying the outdoors. It’s also a great book about imagination, which is why so many picture books are children’s favorites. (Can you think of a book or two that you’ve read every night for weeks to your child?) Some books call us to snuggle up and read, but some, like this one, invite us out on an adventure. Where will your next book, and your next walk, take you?
Beloved for more than 30 years, this award-winning classic from Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury celebrates the joys of an afternoon outdoors with family.
We’re going on a bear hunt. We’re going to catch a big one.
Will you come too? Join a father and his four young children as they cross a field of tall, wavy grass, wade through a deep, cold river, struggle through swampy mud, find their way through a big, dark forest, fight through a whirling snowstorm, and enter finally enter a narrow, gloomy cave. What will they find there? You’ll have to read on to find out!
About the Author
Michael Rosen, an English poet, scriptwriter, broadcaster, and performer, has been writing for children since 1970. He lives in London with his wife and five children.
Helen Oxenbury is the renowned illustrator of many classic picture books, including We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas. Ms. Oxenbury lives with her husband, illustrator John Burningham, in North London.
More Books Like This
- Looking for a Jumbie by Tracey Baptiste
- A Hippy-Hoppy Toad by Peggy Archer
- Good Night, Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
- It’s So Quiet by Aaron Blecha
- What This Story Needs is a Pig in a Wig by Emma J. Virjan